Harmful Substances In Fly Sprays


Last week we were talking about harmful substances in shampoos and tail & mane conditioners for horses. Many products are dangerous and harmful for us, our horses and the environment. Labeling such as "natural", “natural horse care" etc. are misleading. After reading our summary you will know everything you need to know about harmful substances (commonly used) in fly sprays. Read on..


Please also check the labels of all your bug repellents

Summary: Harmful substances in fly sprays

fly sprays contain:

Deet:

Most chemical fly sprays contain DEET, a chemical used in the Vietnam war in order to protect US-soldiers from bugs. It is very effective against mosquitoes, but extremely aggressive also. It can melt plastic and damage saddles, bridles, riding pants, etc.

I mean seriously: Who would wanna put that on the horse?

In an article, I found more information on the impact of DEET in humans:

• Memory lapses

• Headaches

• Muscle or joint pain, muscle weakness

• Trembling or cramping

• Skin irritation, blisters, redness

• Nausea and vomiting

• Low blood pressure

• Cardiac arrhythmia

• Breathlessness

• Painful, irritated or runny eyes

• Neurological problems

Icaridine:

Icaridine is a substance that is very effective against insects, but it can cause itching and allergies in humans and horses. Irritant dermatitis usually shows by flaking and patches of irritation. It is important that you don’t spray this stuff on to open wounds or get it into eyes or lungs, as it should not come into contact with mucous membranes. By the way, the same applies to DEET.

Permethrin:

In the USA, this carcinogen is listed among the 50 most toxic substances, yet manufacturers happily add it to fly sprays. It is a neurotoxin and potentially causes cancer. It is known to cause lung and liver tumors as well as immune deficiency.

It is highly toxic to the environment, especially for bees, aquatic creatures, and cats.

Insects that eat or touch this neurotoxin die a slow and painful death. They experience convulsions, paralysis and finally death. It’s not only cruel but takes forever. Furthermore, it is very dangerous to our animals: If a tick that came into contact with Permethrin dies on the horse, it releases its intestines into the blood of the horse - potentially very dangerous.

"These substances are all potentially harmful to your horse!"

If you have any questions leave a comment or write to me. I am happy to assist you when choosing grooming products and bug repellents.

Nicole


KONTAKT

Kikolily Natural

Products & Services

Nicole Anhalt

Dorfstrasse 90

3214 Ulmiz

Schweiz

hello (at) kikolily.com

ONLINE SHOP
ÜBER KIKOLILY
FOLGE UNS
  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest

© 2017 - 2020 KIKOLILY NATURAL PRODUCTS & SERVICES